Is it a violation of privacy when companies apply “social listening” techniques? New research from Netbase & JD Power and Associates has some interesting, and sometimes hypocritical, information.
Just the Facts:
- 42% of companies have social listening as a top 3 priority in 2013
- 32% of consumers have no idea companies are even listening
- 51% want to talk about companies in social media without them listening
- 43% think listening in social media intrudes on privacy
- 48% of customers say companies should just listen in social to improve products and services
- 58% have a double standard – they want companies to only respond to complaints in social media
- 42% expect companies to respond to positive comments in social media
- 64% want companies to respond to social comments only when spoken to
The most important take-away is #3:
Engage with the intention of delivering mutual value.